Moving to a new city can be stressful. You’re leaving behind familiar stores and places—not to mention friends and family! Jacksonville is a diverse city perfect for families, young professionals, retirees and entrepreneurs. You’re bound to feel at home in no time if you follow our tips:
- Try the local cuisine. Chains can be good when you need something familiar but it’s not much fun to venture into a new part of town and stick to the basics. You won’t want to miss local favorites like Metro Diner or Poe’s Tavern.
- Make connections before you arrive. Whether you are moving from Tampa or Boston, chances are you already know someone who lives in Jacksonville or St. Augustine. Mention your upcoming move to your circle of friends and you may snag an invite to lunch with an old friend.
- Find the local chapter of national organizations. Jacksonville is home to many non-profit organizations and has scores of chapters of national organization. You can get involved with Toastmasters or Rotary Club to make new friends.
- Get to know your neighbors. Many communities host monthly events for residents. This is a good way to get to know others who may be new to town.
- Find people with similar interests on Meetup, through Facebook Groups, or even LinkedIn Groups.
- Sign up for alerts about nearby events. Receive information in your inbox about upcoming events in Jacksonville and St. Augustine. Both cities have a thriving tourism industry and a lot of options for locals as well.
We know that whether you come to Jacksonville with a new job, to join family and friends, or to retire, you will find many things to do to keep you engaged in the community.